10 tips for a healthier heart
Are you concerned about your heart health? Check out the following which have been taken from the Better Health Channel.
Here are some tips to help you look after your heart.
- Quit smoking now. Twelve months after quitting, your increased risk of dying from heart disease will be half that of a continuing smoker.
- Improve your diet. Include wholegrain cereals, legumes, fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts in your diet and lower your risk of heart disease.
- Exercise regularly. Walk briskly for 30 minutes a day and reduce your risk of heart attack by one third.
- Maintain your friendships. People with supportive friendship networks are at less risk of heart disease.
- Eat more fish. Oily fish like tuna, sardines or salmon are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and will boost your good cholesterol.
- Switch your chocolate choice. Switch from milk chocolate to dark chocolate. When eaten in moderation, dark chocolate is good for your heart.
- Limit your alcohol. It is recommended you limit yourself to no more than two standard glasses of alcohol a day if you are a man, or one glass a day if you are a woman.
- Avoid salty and high sodium foods. Don’t add salt when preparing or eating your meals.
- Have a diabetes test. Uncontrolled diabetes can damage your artery walls and contribute to heart disease.
- Make fitness fun. Choose activities that combine exercise and socialising like pilates, water aerobics, dancing, cycling or yoga.
Need more info? Visit us today and check out our range of pharmacy services.
Red Hill Pharmacy, 4 Duyfken Place, Red Hill ACT 2603 or call (02) 6295 8046